Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Week Sixteen: Saying Goodbye

Hello Internet!
It's the last few hours of 2019 and I've been back in the US for 17 days, so I figure now is as good a time as any to reflect on my final week in Bath, England.

On Monday, December 9th, I took my final exam for Gender Identities in Medieval Literature. I felt more than a little unprepared for this final, but ultimately, I think it went well. Then again, I haven't gotten my grades back yet, so I guess we'll see. Once I was finished with the exam, I took one last stroll around Henrietta Park, which was lovely as always.


One Last Shot of Henrietta Park

Later that night, I attended the final meeting for the CCE. Though I haven't mentioned it before, I took part in ASE's Certificate of Cultural Enrichment, or CCE, program throughout the semester. Basically, I kept track of all of the crazy mishaps I've written about here, then submitted a short reflective piece about my experiences in exchange for a certificate. The final meeting of the program was rather interesting--it was neat to hear my peers' reflections about the semester, and I enjoyed receiving acknowledgment for all the times I stepped out of my comfort zone while abroad.

The next day was slightly less stressful; after a Doctor Who marathon, I went out for dinner with my fellow ASE housing representatives. Again, I haven't mentioned it before because there were more pressing things to write about, but throughout the semester I served as my flat's housing representative. This basically meant I was in charge of ensuring the flat was neat and tidy, especially when my roommates and I left for Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon. In exchange for our hard work, ASE treated me and the other housing representatives to Nepalese food. I wasn't a huge fan of the meal-- it turns out that I much prefer Indian curry to Nepalese curry--but the company was nice and the vanilla ice cream was excellent.

On Wednesday, I woke up bright and early to take my Fantasies of Youth final exam. Again, I think it went pretty well, though I had to write like a madwoman to get all of my ideas down. During the afternoon, I hiked up to Alexandra Park on a hill just outside of Bath. The walk was exhausting thanks to the steep incline, but the view from the top was worth it. After slipping and stumbling back down the muddy slope, I went to the Christmas Market and treated myself to sticky toffee pudding, aka the absolute best dessert ever.


Bath from Alexandra Park


The Christmas Market

My last exam, the one for Writing for Children, took place on Thursday morning. It went ok, in my opinion, though I was honestly just glad to be finished with my finals. That night, I went to Write Night, which was basically a big talent show for the ASE program. I got to sing The 12 Days of Christmas with everyone and watch my friends perform on stage, so all in all, it was pretty cool.

Friday was technically my last full day in England, and I went out to lunch with some of my friends to celebrate/reminisce/freak out. We went to Tapas Revolution, a Spanish restaurant in Bath where you order little plates full of food and share them with the table. The food was fantastic and the experience itself was really interesting. Afterwards, we attended ASE's Final Tea, where we said goodbye to our friends and enjoyed traditional English snacks one last time. I managed to make it through without crying, but only just.


What's teatime without a plate of treats?

Saturday morning found me standing alone in the center of Bath at 5am, clutching my luggage close and waiting for the bus. Though it initially didn't show up--which almost sent me into a panic attack-- it finally arrived 10 minutes late and whisked me to the Bristol Airport, where I said a final goodbye to England and boarded my flight to the States.


Bath is Gorgeous at Night

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I've been home for 17 days. To be depressingly truthful, I've thought of England every single day and missed it quite often. My semester abroad fundamentally changed who I am as a person; it made me braver, more confident, happier, and more relaxed. Perhaps most importantly, it showed me who I am when I'm not surrounded by the familiar comforts of my home, family, and childhood friends. Honestly, I'm rather proud of that authentic version of me, and I intend to cling to it as I continue through life.

So I guess the question is, what next? As for me, I'm currently catching up with my loved ones, and in January I'll go back to my college. And as for this blog, well, this is probably my last post for a while. Maybe sometime down the line I'll post writing-related reflections and updates, or I might even go abroad again. I'll certainly look back on this space often as a reminder of my semester abroad and how it changed my life. But regardless of what happens next, I sincerely appreciate the support you all have given me throughout this semester, and I wish you the best as we go forth into 2020.

May you have many wonderful adventures in the new year, and as always, thank you for reading.

Best Regards,
Abby


Artsy Picture of the Day: Farewell, England

No comments:

Post a Comment