Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Week One: Seeing the Sights

Hello Internet!
Last week was a whirlwind of prepping for upcoming classes, taking long walks around Bath, and touring some of the coolest places I have ever seen. As mentioned in my last post, I spent most of last Monday and Tuesday getting settled in Bath. On Wednesday, I finally got the books for my courses. I mention this for two reasons: first of all, it was the biggest pile of books I have ever gotten at one time, and that is saying a lot. Secondly, nearly all of them were children's or middle grade books. As a humongous fan of middle grade literature, this was terribly exciting for me (I had to take a walk so I would stop bouncing off of the walls). During this walk, I got to view the lovely riverside path that follows the River Avon through Bath.


My Rather Ridiculous Stack of Required Reading Material


The River Avon (My flat is in the building right next to the bridge)

Thursday was fairly uneventful, though I did take the time to visit Mr. B's Emporium Bookstore. It's a lovely little shop that's stuffed absolutely full of books, and I couldn't resist purchasing a few new novels. Then, on Friday, I toured the formidable and gorgeous Bath Abbey. Our group was extremely lucky; we got to see the Abbey's clock from the inside and visit the bell chamber just as the bells chimed. We also went right to the top of the Abbey to experience terrific views of the entirety of Bath. After the tour of the Abbey, I wandered to Henrietta Park, which was beautiful in its own right. The day ended with a whole-program reception at the Victoria Art Museum. There, I got to meet with my professors and classmates to discuss our upcoming classes.


The Front of Bath Abbey


Bath City Center


Bath Abbey Clock-From the Inside


Henrietta Park

Although these escapades were exciting, the real adventure came on Sunday. This day started with a program trip to Stonehenge, which was, quite honestly, unlike anything I have ever experienced. Stonehenge, despite the hordes of tourists that cluster around it, drips with majesty and mystery. Its sizeable, solemn presence calls to mind ancient warriors and old, old magic. Many mystery and fantasy stories have been written about Stonehenge, and as I stood in front of the monument, it felt like any one of them could have been true.


Stonehenge!!!


Stonehenge Feat. Yours Truly! (Photo credits to my wonderful roommate)

In my opinion, I had to leave Stonehenge far too soon. That being said, the next destination was nothing to scoff at. The Salisbury cathedral, approximately 9 miles from Stonehenge in the city of Salisbury, boasts a 123m tall tower, loads of gorgeous stained glass, and a copy of the Magna Carta. It was also built in the 13th century, which means it was right up my alley. My classmates and I enjoyed an excellent tour of the inside, where we saw monuments to John Cheyne, a 7-foot-tall warrior; Bishop Robert Wyliffe, who nearly took Sherborne Castle back through trial by combat; and two different ladies who had lost favor with Elizabeth the 1st for their illegal marriages. The highlight of the tour was viewing one of four remaining copies of the Magna Carta. As a history nerd with a love of the 13th century, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.


Salisbury Cathedral (Isn't it pretty?)

The day ended with a trip through the medieval village of Lacock. I toured the inside and grounds of the (13th century) Lacock Abbey, forded a creek, and enjoyed a traditional English lamb roast with sticky toffee pudding. I also got to see some of the highlights from the first Harry Potter movie, including Quirrell's classroom and Lily and James's house. All in all, it was a great end to an excellent day and a memorable week.

Lacock Abbey


Quirrell's Classroom


Part of the Creek I Crossed (No fear, I didn't go down the steps!)

My classes have started this week, but as I have only had one so far, I will have to rant about them in the next post. I don't have any terribly concrete plans for the rest of the week, but I look forward to seeing what the next few days will hold.

Thanks for reading!
Abby


Artsy Picture of the Day: The Royal Crescent in Bath

No comments:

Post a Comment