Saturday, August 8, 2020

Thoughts on Freelance Writing

Hello Internet! 

I've been freelance writing on Upwork for about three weeks now, and honestly, it's been a pretty wonderful experience. I still cannot believe that I'm getting paid to write! Writing for pay has been a career goal of mine for years, and although I was always fairly sure I would reach that goal eventually, I had no idea that it would happen this soon. I'm currently working on two projects, one of which is a weekly gig and one of which is long-term with a deadline in October. I can't say too much about the specifics of these projects, but below are some of my thoughts on what freelancing has been like thus far.

The Good
  • Career Experience: As you may already know if you've read some of my other posts, my dream is to someday become an editor and published author of middle-grade fiction. Now, neither of my current projects are related to middle-grade fiction, but they are both providing me with loads of experience that will help me succeed in the publishing industry. Not only am I learning how to meet deadlines and respond to feedback, but I'm also acquiring practical experience that will look great on a resume. Therefore, the freelancing I am doing now will hopefully propel me closer towards my ultimate career goal, and I am really excited about that. 
  • Setting my Own Schedule: For many, the best part of freelancing is having some flexibility in deciding when and where you write. And I have to say, this is a big plus for me as well. Although my projects have set deadlines, I am completely free to set my own hours, which means I can write less on days when I am extremely busy. Additionally, when the fall semester starts, I will be able to schedule my writing around my college classes. All in all, having the freedom to set my own schedule is very satisfying. 
  • Writing About my Interests: Again, I cannot talk too much about the specifics of my projects for confidentiality reasons. However, I can say that my long-term project relates to one of my hobbies, which naturally means that I'm having a blast working on it!
The Bad
  • Setting my Own Schedule: Having the ability to set my own writing schedule is a double-edged sword. During my time at college, I have gotten really, really good at writing quality essays just before they're due. Therefore, because I know I can do good work at the last minute, I've developed a habit of procrastinating on my writing projects--even the ones I enjoy working on. This habit has been one of my greatest curses, and I'm working hard on breaking it. That being said, while I enjoy having a very flexible writing schedule, it has not made the process of breaking my procrastination habit any easier. 
  • Applying for New Projects: Like most people, I find the process of applying for a new job nerve-wracking. Unfortunately, every time I want to take on a new writing project on Upwork, I have to submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. To make matters worse, I'm new to the freelancing industry, so I find myself constantly second-guessing what to put in my applications. As a result, the project application process has given me a lot of anxiety. Of course, I've managed to acquire two projects, so I'm probably doing something right. Still, I'll likely have to earn several more clients before I feel confident enough to submit project applications without worrying if they're good enough. 
  • Upwork's Payment System:  Obviously, I'm grateful that I'm getting paid. But Upwork requires me to have a relatively high minimum balance in my account before I can withdraw my earnings without a fee, and I find that frustrating. Ah well. 
The Downright Strange
  • People Are Paying Me to Write: Honestly, despite my complaints, I'm over-the-moon ecstatic that I'm earning money from my writing. I mean, people are publishing my writing and then paying me for it. That's pretty wild, right? 
Self-deprecation and jokes aside, I'm extremely grateful to the clients who have hired me thus far. They've been absolutely wonderful to work with, and I've been having a great time with my projects. I can't wait to see where my freelance writing journey goes next!

Thanks for reading!
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment